Thursday, June 29, 2023 Killdeer!

Seward, Alaska

While birding the tidelands, I heard a piercing, clear call behind me that I didn’t recognize. I turned to see a shorebird flying towards me and started snapping photos as it flew overhead and landed beyond in the mudflats. 

Zooming in, I noticed two breast bands: a KILLDEER! Killdeer are uncommon in our area and this is my first summer finding. Previous sightings were in the fall and winter.

Luckily, I managed to refind it feeding with a small flock of LEAST SANDPIPERS and SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS between two intertidal streams. The large plover loomed over both species. I caught a flash of rufous on the rump when it leaned forward to feed.

On my way back, a hen COMMON MERGANSER hustled her darling brood of five ducklings away, ever watchful. A peeping MALLARD duckling was not so lucky, somehow separated from mom, but valiantly sped into the sedges along the bank as fast as its little webbed feet could paddle.

High in the sky, a hopeful and tireless WILSON’S SNIPE repeatedly stroked skyward then plummeted to earth, tail feathers vibrating with its unique love song. I hope he’s not too late; summer is racing along!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter 













 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment