Tuesday, November 24, 2020 Lapland Longspur

Seward, Alaska

 

Brrr! Only 33º but the 13mph north wind gusting to 19 mph made it feel much colder. The previous day’s soft ice froze hard and slick last night.

 

Anticipating a series of winter storms moving in, I bundled up, put on my ice grippers, and headed to the tidelands. A weak sun put on a brave face and the illusion of warmth before the clouds wrapped it up in a soft, blue-gray shawl.

 

WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS dashed to the top of a nearby spruce tree by the car; the wind whisked away with their chatter.

 

The small mixed flock of mostly ROCK SANDPIPERS, likely with a few DUNLINS, fluttered along the receding tideline; hard to discern details. Five MEW GULLS in winter plumage poked through the wrack on the recently exposed shore.

 

In the distance at the mouth of the Resurrection River, two BALD EAGLE adults swooped low over the water and hovered ponderously in the midst of hundreds of excited Gulls. There must have been something worthwhile for all that effort. 

 

As I approached the end of the beach, a LAPLAND LONGSPUR popped up and posed for a few images before disappearing. I’ve only had a few tantalizing glimpses of this mystery bird for over a month. Assuming it’s the same bird, maybe it felt sorry for me, left to wonder who flitted deep into the beach rye grass every other time. Nice to finally meet!

 

When I arrived home, I surprised an inquisitive PACIFIC WREN inspecting my house perimeter. It did a pretty thorough job before disappearing around the corner. I could almost see its tiny hard hat and clipboard!

 

In other news, yesterday a swarm of about 60 PINE SISKINS swirled into nearby spruce trees, grabbed a bite, then zipped up, up, and away! Seward has not seen many this winter; I hope they stay and bring a few Redpolls with them. 

 

Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter








 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment