Friday, November 27, 2020 Bohemian Waxwings and Pine Grosbeaks


Seward, Alaska


Thanksgiving dawned clear and calm at 33 degrees, but gradually reverted to borderline precipitation wavering between rain and sn’rain, repeat. A degree or two colder transformed the afternoon snow showers into 8 to 12” of wet snow and the evening into a winter wonderland, unless one was trying to drive the unplowed streets.  

 

Friday afternoon I checked out the town, driving my car-boat through shallow lakes along plowed roads, leaving a wake and spraying water in high arcs to the sides. Most of the access routes to the waterfront proved too deep and slushy, but fortunately, the drive and parking lot for the Alaska Sealife Center was plowed. 

 

Much to my delight, I heard the soft churring of BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS as soon as I got out of my car. I counted about 50 silhouetted against the gray sky at the top of the nearby Hoben Park cottonwood. They flew down to the berry-laden Mt Ash trees along the sidewalk in small, cautious groups, then back up as masked visitors walked past.

 

I grabbed my camera and enjoyed wonderful views, almost at eye-level, as the elegant Bohemian Waxwings and bright PINE GROSBEAKS plucked the red Mt Ash berries from the cheery clusters. 

 

The Bohemian Waxwings wasted no time, tossing the whole fruit down then grabbing the next. They seemed flighty and hurried. The calmer and more fastidious Pine Grosbeaks plucked one fruit, then carefully juiced it, the hull and seeds dribbling down their beaks, before contemplating which berry to pluck next.

 

I caught a glimpse of a smaller bird during one of the flights between the cottonwood and the Mt Ashes, but could not tell if it was a Cedar Waxwing or other species. 

 

Though it was only 2:30 in the afternoon, the dark skies and dimming light made further birding and photography challenging. Such is the brief window of opportunity in the winter! I drove my car-boat home and got a free car wash on the way, eager to see my photos. 

 

Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

 
















No comments:

Post a Comment