Thursday, November 5, 2020 Bohemian Waxwings, and a Short-eared Owl

Sunrise 8:33 am, sunset 4:51 pm for a total day length of 8 hours and 17 minutes. Tomorrow will be 5 minutes and 4 seconds shorter.

 

This afternoon, the brutal north wind that shook the town and rattled every window for the past wintry week finally stopped howling. A collective sigh of relief followed as the temperature rose from the recent single night-time digits to a balmy 30º. 

 

A variety of mixed weather is forecast for the next week as the meteorologist’s darts hit the spinning weather disk: snow showers, mostly sunny, snow, rain, mostly sunny, rain/snow, snow showers, mostly cloudy, and partly cloudy. Someone is messing with the thermostat again!

 

Ava’s Place had the first young BOHEMIAN WAXWING on October 30, followed by a second the next day. I failed twice to find them. However, today on my morning walk, I heard their lovely chirring and counted 50 perched in a bare cottonwood with several ROBINS. They flew down to nearby Mt Ash trees and devoured the red berries, then back up into the cottonwood to preen, wait, and repeat.

 

I looked for the Cedar Waxwing, Western Tanager, and Hermit Thrush among them without success. A report of Robins and a possible Western Tanager on the Jeep Trail gives me hope that they did not blow away! 

 

This afternoon, I chanced a walk at the tidelands, still windy but tolerable with the rising temperature. Aside from the MALLARDS feeding at the far edge of the tide and the usual BALD EAGLE flying overhead, I saw no other birds. The frozen jellies however, lured me to take yet another series of photos. Amazing animals from another universe!

 

I reached the end of the beach where the good dog wisely decided against swimming in the chilly creek. After checking for any waterfowl (nothing), we turned around. I headed for the shelter of a stand of beach rye grass to get a break from the sharp wind.

 

Suddenly, an explosion of wings from the grass not 8 feet away made me jump! A SHORT-EARED OWL shot up and away, and in a second was a speck blowing towards the cruise ship dock. I couldn’t believe it! The Owl had apparently watched us walk past. Neither I nor the two eagle-eye dogs noticed the brave bird.  When we turned around, I missed a second chance for an incredible closeup view. I doubt very much if I would have had the presence of mind to even think of trying to take a photo!

 

This Owl was first reported on October 29, but the wintry blast discouraged further sightings. I’m relieved it survived! Of note, another amazing raptor, a NORTHERN HARRIER, was spotted on October 28 at Spring Creek, but not seen again.

 

Just before sunset today, Robin C reported a COMMON MURRE by the Lowell Creek waterfall. Winter sightings of Murres are very unusual and troubling as it may indicate a starving bird. If the sablefish processing continues, it may fatten up and return to the Gulf of Alaska. All very interesting!

 

Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter 





















 

No comments:

Post a Comment