Saturday, November 28, 2020 Cassin’s Finch, and Rusty Blackbirds

Seward, Alaska

Another monochrome day of deep slush, heavy snow (on the ground and trees), and sn’rain showers in the afternoon.

 

I wandered where I could today by foot and carboat, not finding anything unusual. I cruised through the ASLC parking lot twice, scanning the cottonwood and Mt Ash trees but finding nought.

 

Even the Gulls by the silent seafood processor on Lowell Point Road had mostly dissipated. I happened to find Robin C, also out birding (surprise!). He told me about a report of 4-5 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS along Resurrection Boulevard, an exciting new arrival. I debated going there, but instead followed him into the ASLC for one more look before it got too dark (humph! Only 1:30 pm!)

 

Immediately after getting out of my car, I spied a RUSTY BLACKBIRD in a nearby young spruce! Another one flew between spruce trees. How convenient! They were too flighty to get a photo, but I got a good look at the startling yellow eye.

 

The BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS and PINE GROSBEAKS had inexplicably returned from wherever they had been dining. I walked over to the sidewalk and rows of Mt Ash trees. Suddenly Robin pointed out a smaller bird eagerly feeding on the Mt Ash berries with the others.

 

My mystery bird from yesterday! Again conveniently at eye level, the female or immature male plucked berries and juiced them like the Pine Grosbeaks. It seemed at ease with two birders clicking away and clusters of visitors walking past. 

 

At first, I thought it was a Purple Finch with that broad whitish eyebrow. But when I got home, I noticed it had a white eye-ring that clinches the ID as a CASSIN’S FINCH. The undertail coverts were also streaked vs plain white on the Purple Finch.

 

The subtle differences of slightly larger, clunkier body, slightly longer, heavier, and conical bill with a nearly straight culmen (top of bill) of the Cassin’s Finch compared to the Purple Finch are head spinners when you don’t see them very often and have nothing to compare with.

 

The first and last time I saw a Cassin’s Finch in Seward was in 2009, a male in my yard in February dining on sunflower seeds, continuing to April when a female joined him. 


This species is listed as "Casual" in Alaska, more rare than "Rare."

 

While clicking merrily away, something alarmed the entire flock and they erupted from the trees as one and flew off. We did not see anything suspicious like a Sharp-shinned Hawk or other predator, but that was that! 

 

A short time later, Tasha refound the Bohemian Waxwings, Pine Grosbeaks, Cassin’s Finch, and four Rusty Blackbirds feeding on the Mt Ash berries at Resurrection Art, a few blocks north on Third.  Yay!

 

Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter













No comments:

Post a Comment