Friday, March 20, 2020 Rubber Spaghetti? for Common Goldeneyes

Seward, Alaska

I happened upon a pair of handsome COMMON GOLDENEYES feeding in the Seward Boat Harbor. Curious what they might be eating, I stopped to watch. Unlike the Barrow’s Goldeneyes, they dove just a foot or two under and immediately popped up. Whatever it was, it seemed to hang there inert, unlike live prey.

I finally got a glimpse of a long, red, flexible thing with two strands fused together hanging from their bills. Both sea ducks ate it, somewhat like spaghetti, smacking it down with gusto. As they ate, they seemed able to break into smaller pieces, and then finally into a slender strand. It did not look natural.

After dining, both stretched briefly then settled down for a nap.

I was relieved to find them the next day in about the same place, resting in the sn’rain. I hope they will be OK. 

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter










No comments:

Post a Comment