Sunday, November 26, 2017 Northern Goshawk and 8 Trumpeter Swans!

Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 9:25 am, sunset 4:08 pm for a total day length of 6 hours and 42 minutes. Tomorrow will be 3 minutes and 46 seconds shorter. Temps rose slightly from 14º to 18º with a light overcast and winds from the north at 12 to 18 mph, gusting to 34 mph. The forecast calls for warming temperatures to just above freezing with variations on snow, snow showers, and rain as the red line rises and falls.

I received a report of a NORTHERN GOSHAWK in the ‘hood yesterday and was primed to see it. Sure enough, I spotted it this morning sitting high in a spruce tree, shining like a beacon against the dark branches. It was a juvenile (first year) bird with a buffy, streaky breast and prominent white eyebrow. His powerful talons were covered by a skirt of fluffy belly feathers in the morning chill as he surveyed the neighboring yards.

He reminded me of the three fledgling Goshawks I watched along the Lost Lake trail in August. I wondered if he might be one from that family. Could be; will never know.

Other bird spotted on the walk around the block: CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES, DARK-EYES JUNCOS, a SONG SPARROW, PINE GROSBEAKS, PIGEONS, STELLER’S JAYS, BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES, RAVENS, and BALD EAGLES.

This afternoon around 2 pm, I checked out Afognak Beach. I heard a very familiar, soft honking and counted eight TRUMPETER SWANS paddling offshore in pairs. I looked eagerly for the single parent and two remaining cygnets, but saw none. I hope they are alive and well somewhere. 

Happy Birding!                                          
Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter


No comments:

Post a Comment