Sunday, November 12, 2017 Swan Update

Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 8:51 am, sunset 4:35 pm for a total daylight of 7 hours and 44 minutes. Tomorrow will be 4 minutes and 48 seconds shorter.

Mostly clear with a fierce north wind that threatens to blow the town into the bay or at least everything that it can wrench loose and set free. The sun felt faintly warm out of the wind; temps ranged from a low of 22 to a high of 37 with cooler temperatures forecast for tomorrow and snow showers by next weekend.

Despite the cold and howling winds, the Seward electric crew has been working hard on getting the underground power lines installed. It’s a big job that is greatly appreciated.

It’s also a tense race against time with the resident TRUMPETER SWAN family flying over these killer wires almost daily. The buffeting winds and unmarked power and cable lines over Dairy Hill rachet up the chances for yet another disaster any day until the lines are removed.

As noted previously, one of the three cygnets hit the lines over Dairy Hill on Sunday, October 29th. The case was badly bungled; I read recently in the Police Log that the beloved cygnet was treated as road kill. I am outraged that the police called the next person on the salvage list and let that person pick it up.

This species is protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and requires a permit to be collected or handled. Neither the ASLC Wildlife Response Team or the Electric Department was contacted as required by federal law. I hope this never happens again!

On Tuesday, November 7, I saw two adult Trumpeter Swans at the Lagoon; no cygnets. I have no idea if the cygnets were somehow separated or if these two are another pair. Very mysterious and troubling. I walked the Boardwalk under the power line looking for bodies, but fortunately found none.

On Wednesday, November 8, at 10:20 am, Toby Burke and his family watched the Swan family of 2 adults and 2 cygnets fly from the Lagoon over the wires crossing above Dairy Hill Lane. He reported that the family barely cleared the lines, and one parent struck the lines and fell about 35’.

“The heavy bird landed with a resounding thud, flat on its breast and belly. The bird eventually made it back on its feet and slowly walked back to the Lagoon where it returned alone to the water, still stunned. Miraculously, there did not appear to be any damage to the bird’s wings and if we had not just witnessed the accident we would have never suspected what had just happened. I can hardly believe the bird survived the collision and fall.”

I happened along around noon without yet knowing what had happened. I found one Swan, most likely the bruised and battered parent who could not yet fly to rejoin its family. I did not see any obvious injuries; the Swan stood in the shallow water at one point and preened, but did not stretch its wings. I wondered where the family was…

I did not find any Swans on Thursday, November 9.

On Friday, November 10, I was greatly saddened to see only one parent, but relieved to see the two cygnets. I looked for the missing parent along the shoreline and along the Boardwalk but did not find it. I also checked Preacher Pond which was still open, without success. It could have died of its injuries at the Lagoon; tried to fly and got killed; or flew somewhere to recover. I’m not very hopeful.

Saturday, November 11, no Swans found.

Today, Sunday, November 12, I found three adult TRUMPETER SWANS feeding near the eelgrass beds by Afognak Beach. My heart leapt! Could it be Daddy’s Girl and her parents???

I also found the parent Swan and two cygnets back feeding at the Lagoon. The electric crew was busy working on the underground conduits and wires. I hope this will be done soon!

Happy/sad Birding,
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter
















No comments:

Post a Comment