Friday, October 27, 2017 Tern Lake Swan Family photos found!


Tern Lake, Mile 38 at the Y

I just found my photos of the Tern Lake TRUMPETER SWAN family, taken on my trip to Homer on October 11th.

I was so disappointed to think I had erased them and so very delighted to find I had not!

At that date, there was no ice on the lake threatening the cygnet-who-would-not-fly. Despite having the entire lake for their use, the family fed very close to the road. It was pretty amazing.

I usually stay in my car and use it for a blind, but a woman was kneeling right next to them, then another photographer walked over. The Swans, especially the cygnet did not seem to mind. So I piled out and joined the party. It’s not often that one is allowed to be so close to wild Swans!

It’s always interesting to document the cygnet’s bill changing from pink to black; this one still had a large area of pink sandwiched between the black base and tip.

From this and other viewings, it seemed that the cygnet was in charge. The parents often trailed behind it, sometimes expressing concern in soft honks and ignored head bobbing as it paddled straight for the shore and people.

When the parents finally turned away, bobbing emphatically, the cygnet considered whether or not it wished to leave. I’ve never seen this independent behavior in such a young swan. Could be dangerous.

That day, when the parents paddled away, the cygnet hopped up on a small island and preened, taking its sweet time before finally joining them.

After checking out the silver salmon at the outlet at Dave’s Creek, I returned to check on them. They were again close to the road and no one was around. One parent in particular was in very shallow water. It was just incredible to actually SEE its long white neck like a flexible hose, the white head and black bill probing the bottom as it harvested the aquatic plants. Another first!

Today, I checked the cygnet close-up photos carefully, looking for any evidence of fishing line that might have prevented it from flying, but thankfully found none. 

As the ice closed in on October 19th, the independent and ignorant youngster finally realized it was time to figure it out and they left. I hope it let the wiser, more experienced, but indulgent parents lead the way.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter


















No comments:

Post a Comment