Friday, September 29, 2017 Sharp-shinned Hawk juveniles

Seward, Alaska

This was a day for SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS! In the morning, I watched a juvenile Sharpie chase STELLER’S JAYS and BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES around my neighborhood. He announced his presence on a perch in a cottonwood with piercing cries, warning every bird around. That only seemed to attract the Corvids, as if to play.

Nonchalantly picking at the ground under the tree, the Jays feigned ignorance. Then down swooped the fierce hawk and the Jays merely flew into the nearby spruce to jeer. Around and around to no avail the hawk flew. Nearby Magpies chattered conversationally as if critiquing its form. Were they coaches or potential prey? Judging from its lack of success, either the hawk was not listening, or it just had really bad judgment in its choice of prey.

Later that afternoon across the bay, I spied another juvenile Sharpie perched on a snag, its tail spread wide, its wings held open, trying to dry out. Though I was far away and in my car, he fixed his yellow eyes on me and carefully turned around to watch me watch him.

I left him hanging loose to air dry in the light rain, hoping that both youngsters found something to eat today.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter






No comments:

Post a Comment