Monday, May 14, 2018 Bristle-thighed Curlews!

Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 5:22 am, sunset 10:28 pm, for a total daylight of 17 hours and 6 minutes. Tomorrow will be 4 minutes and 43 seconds longer.

A mix of light rain this morning made way for clearing skies and welcome sunshine by mid-afternoon. Temps ranged from a low of 36º to a high of 50º, just slightly below average. The forecast for the next several days is more rain with a dash of snow showers for the mountains, continuing well into the rest of May.

While at the Homer shorebird festival, I received a recent report of a BRISTLE-THIGHED CURLEW in Seward. Darn! Hard to be twins! I’ve been searching through all the WHIMBRELS for years, looking and listening for something different. Years ago, I missed seeing them in Nome. This has been a tantalizingly elusive species for me.

As soon as I could, I checked out the tidelands on the rising tide. Far ahead, I caught sight of a MARBLED GODWIT up to its belly, feeding in shallow water and a small group of WHIMBRELS. Maybe the Bristle-thighed Curlew was among them?

The light was dim, the rocks gray, and details hard to discern. I crept forward, hoping to get better photos to distinguish the species. Finally, I just sat down to wait in the light rain, and watch as the tide pushed them closer.

Small flocks of WESTERN SANDPIPERS flashed dark and light, flying low over the water. MALLARDS and NORTHERN PINTAILS watched me suspiciously but keep feeding. Two handsome male BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS worked their way through the rocks towards me. Suddenly the group lifted up, revealing more than I initially saw including 5 Black-bellied Plovers, seven DOWITCHERS, several Western Sandpipers, two curlew-types with suspiciously buffy rumps, and 8 other long-bills.

Fortunately, after inscribing a wide arc, all the birds returned and landing almost where they started, resumed a leisurely but purposeful seek-snack-and-stroll towards me. I sifted through the flock of 10 large shorebirds, alternating binocs and camera, looking for differences. It was fascinating to watch their long, decurved bills pick and probe though the fucus-covered cobble. Amazing tools!

Finally, the birds worked their way close enough so that I could clearly see that the leader was a BRISTLE-THIGHED CURLEW! A buffy coloration infused the whole bird, especially the belly and back. The pattern of buffy spots on the rear looked like spangles. I could even see the bristles hanging down around the legs! While trying to see the subtle differences between the Bristle-thighed and the Whimbrel with it, I realized they were BOTH Bristle-thigheds! How fun!

Once again the birds took off, and I could see FOUR bright cinnamon-buffy tails and rumps! This time they flew a short ways then landed between the shore and me. Nice! While several birds continued to feed, others pulled up one leg and tucked in that long bill under a wing for a nap. The MARBLED GODWIT opened wide for a big yawn and settled down for a nap as well.

Noting the ever-incoming tide, I carefully rose and walked slowly past the little group of celebrities, as far away as possible. Still balancing on one leg and tucked in, their bright black eyes followed me, but they did not stir. Though none could see, I did a very joyful, Happy Dance inside for this long-sought Life Bird, for the experience of watching them, and the satisfaction of not disturbing their rest. Bon voyage, phenomenal birds!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter










No comments:

Post a Comment