Saturday, May 19, 2018 Territorial Robin and Hummers

Seward, Alaska

I heard a “Thump!” this morning at my kitchen window. I hurried outside just in time to see a male ROBIN on the ground beneath. Fortunately, he immediately flew off. Whew! I’ve never had issues with this window before, so I was curious why.

I soon found out when the Robin returned to land on the garage windowsill facing the kitchen. He was not pleased to see his reflection there either. I think the thump was him attacking the window reflection, trying to drive the other male away. This is the all-night Robin that sings so sweetly in the quiet evenings at 11:00. I don’t know when he sleeps.

Unfortunately, the hummingbird feeder is right by the garage window, so the Robin was driving away hunger hummers as well as his obstinate reflection. To help redirect his efforts towards something more production and spare the hummers, I removed the perch and stapled some Visqueen over the window. No more reflection! Seems to be working, at least there, and the hummers don't mind the new covering.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter




No comments:

Post a Comment