Thursday, June 22, 2017 Brown Creepers

Thursday, June 22, 2017 Brown Creepers
Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 4:32 am, sunset 11:26 pm for a total day light of 18 hours and 54 minutes. Tomorrow will be 26 seconds shorter, an inconspicuous start to the inevitable slide to Winter Solstice. Temps remain in the low to mid 50s under cloudy skies with occasional sprinkles. Wild Geraniums burst into bloom, adding to the Lilac’s purple scheme.

I checked on the resident TRUMPETER SWAN family at Nash Road today. They were gathered on the original nesting site, taking a midday siesta. I counted white puffs, 1-2-3, all accounted for and looking good.

Fourth of July Beach hosted 1 male SURF SCOTER rafting with 10 females just off-shore. This seems odd as they should be nesting now in a fresh water lake somewhere north of here. Maybe they are non-breeders that have no need to fly to the breeding grounds. Also seen, 5 HARLEQUIN DUCKS and two Steller Sea Lions.

When I returned home and got out of the car, I heard high “seeeeeeeee” sounds and immediately searched my spruce tree trunks for tiny brown camouflaged birds. Sure enough, there was a young BROWN CREEPER, still sporting a yellow lower bill, hopping around the trunk seeking invertebrates and insects.

A parent occasionally hopped down to feed it, whereupon the fledgling fluffed up and quivered in anticipation of some real food. The “seeeeeeee” sounds were difficult to actually pin down, as these guys are ventriloquists, but I think there may have been at least one more fledgling hidden in another tree. It sure was fun to watch them clean up my trees!

A bonus bird, a striking male TOWNSEND’S WARBLER, popped by. They usually nest nearby but I have not yet seen the babies. Another bonus was a male YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER flashing past the bird bath. I should just set up my lawn chair in my yard and have a Little Sit; I’m sure I’d find a lot more going on here if I just waited.

Catchup notes:
June 6 and June 16: Two CASPIAN TERNS spotted at the head of the bay. This species is expanding from SE, with reports from Homer and Anchorage.

June 6: my First of Year for Seward LONG-TAILED DUCK, a drake at Fourth of July Beach with HARLEQUINS.

June 18: Six TRUMPETER SWANS far out on the tide flats at Afognak Beach. They were too far to discern adults from year old cygnets. The resident Swan family was still at Nash Road. Who are these visitors, where did they come from, and why are they here???
I have been unable to refind them to ask.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter
















No comments:

Post a Comment