Thursday, June 1, 2017 Cordova to Yakutat Part 2


Clouds moved in at Cordova and concealed the rest of the view for the remainder of the flight. Through a few breaks in the clouds, I caught glimpses of Yakutat just before the jet landed. The sunny, 68º heat of Anchorage swapped to 50s, cloudy with light rain. 

The Leonard’s Landing Lodge manager was waiting at the baggage claim to drop me off at the free 6 pm Opening Reception and community barbecue behind the schools and take my baggage to my room. Yay!
First birds included the BALD EAGLE, the default bird, preprinted on all my bird checklists. Also noted singing near the school: a PACIFIC WREN, ROBIN, and a HERMIT THRUSH.
Back at the lodge at 9 pm, I heard the ubiquitous FOX SPARROW, VARIED THRUSH, HERMIT THRUSH, and ROBINS. A short walk to the private dock turned up NORTHWESTERN CROWS along the beach. A KINGFISHER rattled overhead. MEW and GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS perched on the pilings to fish for herring hiding near the dock. Four BALD EAGLES soared overhead.
I walked to the other side to look at a small but productive bay where ARCTIC TERNS and BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES circled around, diving on the small forage fish. A BLACK OYSTERCATCHER patrolled an exposed shoal. One could enjoy watching this timeless scene for hours, but after a long day of travel, it was time for me to go to sleep.
Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold

Traveling Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter





No comments:

Post a Comment