Wednesday evening October 17, 2012 Short-eared Owl


Seward, Alaska Sporadic Bird Report

As the late afternoon sun rolled over the mountains, I managed to squeeze in a quick beach walk. Such a magical light! The beach rye grasses swished and whispered in the strong north wind, radiant golds and russets, drained of all green. It seemed pretty quiet, bird-wise, not even a ranting raven.

Suddenly, a SHORT-EARED OWL lifted off from the driftwood ahead and flew in a long arc in front of me along the beach. Its stunning yellow eyes glowed in the sun's spotlight. Then it wheeled about and flew high and higher, a tiny form against the snowy mountains. I switched from my camera to my binoculars to savor the wondrous sight.  Even better, it abruptly changed its mind and flew down to land on the flattened sedges a long ways down the beach. As it sat there looking around, I saw for the first time, the tiny ears that give this magnificent owl its name.

Not wanting to disturb it, I turned around and walked back into the lengthening mountain shadows.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter










No comments:

Post a Comment