Tuesday, November 29, 2011 No Redwing


Seward, Alaska

Overcast with increasing dark clouds from the Gulf of Alaska, temps in the mid teens, moderate winds from the north, blizzard warning still in effect for this evening.

I checked Lowell Point Beach this morning around 10:45. The tide was low; I saw only frozen seaweed at the high tide line. This probably accounted for the lack of birds scavenging at the tide line. No crows, robins, song sparrows, rusty blackbird, or even an eagle in sight. The beach felt desolate.

Up by the summer homes, a single magpie quietly flew away across the road, but nothing flitted in the bare branches of the alders or Mt Ash trees.

I waited and watched, scanning with my binocs. The rhythmic surge of the waves echoed my thoughts: "Gone, gone, gone." How I wished I could shout, "There it is!" But there was nothing. This is the third day in a row that the Redwing has not been seen. I think the waves are right.

Congratulations to all who saw this "cracking little bird" and condolences to those who tried so hard and failed.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment