Thursday, January 27, 2022 Danger at Twilight!

Seward, Alaska

Nine minutes after the 5 pm sunset, I happened to be outside in the yard near some spruce trees. A sudden feathery fluttering in the nearby boughs drew my attention. I caught a glimpse of a BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE diving in, heading to roost for the night. How nice. 

 

But no! The Chickadee sped through. Almost instantly, an adult NORTHERN SHRIKE appeared in full pursuit! In a blur of black and white, the Shrike chased the desperate Chickadee in evasive maneuvers through the dense branches and then out in the open past me. I could have touched them, had I not been too surprised to move. 

 

As they raced by the compost bin, the Chickadee swerved low and around but the Shrike decided to dash over. Splat! It hit some wire fencing around the bin and spread-eagled mid-flight. O no! I mobilized towards it to help but it quickly recovered and disappeared. Whew! 

 

The Shrike probably wobbled to a secluded spot to try to figure out what the heck just happened to it and the dinner it anticipated just a second ago. The Chickadee? I hope it found a safe roost for the night too.

 

Danger lurks in the dim twilight for the pursued and pursuer!

 

Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment