January 23, 2022 Townsend’s Solitaire, Chatty Raven, Rock Sandpipers

Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 9:32 am, sunset 4:48 pm for a total day length of 7 hours and 16 minutes. Tomorrow will be 4 minutes and 33 seconds longer. 

 

Unseasonably warm weather from last week continued today with highs in the upper 30s, even to 40, and lows not much lower. Meltwater and rain flowed freely over icy streets creating pop-up car washes in low spots. Crusty snow struggles to hang on with ever-widening bare patches. 


A massive landslide was reported on the Coastal Trail between Tonsina Point and Caines Head. I even found spruce buds opening with tender, green new needles optimistically peeking out. Mt Ash and Mayday berries are rapidly diminishing for our fruit-loving species including Pine Grosbeaks and Robins. 

 

This afternoon, I stopped by the berry bushes near the laundromat and found another frugivore, the adult TOWNSEND’S SOLITAIRE. It quietly perched nearby, raindrops on its gray feathered raincoat, posed in distinguished and understated elegance as if for a portrait: thin white eye ring, buffy brown wing patches, and white outer tail feathers. I last found it several weeks ago perched at the top of a spruce, calling in the dawn. The distinctive sound somehow reminded me of the pinging of a submarine (as heard in the movies.)

 

I next headed to the beach to escape the treacherous ice. A very chatty RAVEN flew over and joined me for most of my walk. I wonder if he’s the same one I’ve talked with before? He flew along with me, landing on the ground or perched on nearby driftwood, expounding on the light stinging rain, the mounds of storm-tossed beach wrack sprinkled with colorful Baltic Macoma clam shells, the wonderful find of a mermaid’s purse washed ashore, and best of all, a piece of wood to play with. 

 

I so enjoyed his varied vocalizations, ranging from raucous croaking to sweet little trills. “Kaowah!” “PukUk!” “Whoo!” “Bukbukbuk!” Two other Ravens flew in to check on the scene but didn’t linger. They apparently had important things to do, unlike my carefree friend.

 

Incidentally, I learned that “puk-uk” is a Inupiaq word meaning “poking around and getting into things” which perfectly describes the Raven. http://www.pukuk.com/MVpukuk.html

 

As the tide crept in, about 50 ROCK SANDPIPERS (and likely a few DUNLINS) followed the edge, wading in the shallow water, picking and probing ravenously. Some paddled across the deeper sections, an odd sight. It’s always wonderful to see shorebirds in the winter, doing well.

Three SHORT-BILLED GULLS joined in the feast.

 

As I left the beach, the Raven veered away, intent on other entertainment. “Pukuk!” He sure entertained me!


Check out this article in WHSRN, Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network: <https://whsrn.org/why-mud-matters> There's more to mudflats than meets the human eye.


Last Wednesday, I experienced a different bird conversation. While I was loitering on the deck, a BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE popped up in the nearby elderberry and began scolding me. “DEE-DEE-DEE!” Well, sez I cheerily, “Dee-dee to you!” It hopped to a closer branch as if I hadn’t heard properly, and scolded again, “DEE-DEE-DEE!!!” 

 

Oh! Sorry! I got the hint and quickly left. Immediately, the little bird zipped into the waiting swallow box to settle down for the night. I checked my watch, 4:48 pm. Exactly 10 minutes after sunset. That’s bedtime for Chickadees! If it wasn’t raining so much, I’d try to monitor this little guy to see if bedtime corresponds to the growing day length.

 

Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter





























No comments:

Post a Comment