Sunday, October 11, 2020 Red-breasted Sapsucker!


Seward, Alaska

This morning at 9:30 on a walk around the block, I heard an unusual sound from a treed vacant lot, possibly a very angry Hairy Woodpecker. Then, bam! I was startled to see the bright red head, nape, and breast of a  RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER appear from behind a tree! Still upset, it scolded from the tree then took off, flying right over my head!

This is the first time I’ve seen this species in my neighborhood; other sightings have been reported by the post office, the schools and, of course, at Ava’s off Nash Road. It's not unexpected, but never common, and always a thrill!

Due to bear activity, few people have feeders up, but there are nice old Mountain Ash trees just about everywhere. I’ll be watching for the characteristic horizontal sap wells. 

Around noon at Afognak Beach, my dog suddenly looked up as we both heard a whooshing zoom. I never saw it, but I’m sure it was a hummingbird, most likely an Anna’s. How amazing!

Shortly afterwards, a BALD EAGLE, perched midway down a spruce, raised its regal head to the heavens and cried out as its mate landed at the top. The commanding sounds rang and echoed. It felt like a wilderness moment except for the faint sound of vehicles in the distance.  

Another series of powerful cries! Here came another adult hauling a huge silver salmon in its talons. That was a classic Alaska scene. 

On the way home, I found one lonely TRUMPETER SWAN cygnet sitting on the ol' nest site at mile 1 Nash Road. It looked like he was waiting for the rest of the family to show up. "If we ever get separated, meet at the nest." I hope they reunite soon.

As for the Purple Martins, it was raining when I checked this morning. They may have been roosting, but the Spring Creek area sure seemed empty.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter







 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment