Tuesday, October 30, 2018 Short-eared Owl!


Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 9:16 am, sunset 6:08 pm for a total day length of 8 hours and 51 minutes. Tomorrow will be 5 minutes and 13 seconds shorter.

27 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS zipped over the Lagoon yesterday, chattering. First flock of the fall that I’ve seen.

After the season’s first snowfall yesterday, today dawned with something else new: a peek at the sun! The sun, however, brought the north wind with gusts to 23 mph which quickly blew away the meager snow in town, leaving the icy patches. The forecast is for chilly temperatures for the next few days with lows in the low 20s overnight to mid-30s daytime. Then, with a slight rise in temps, back to rain or snow showers for the next week.  

I was surprised to find a female LONG-TAILED DUCK this morning, diving near a dozen COMMON MERGANSERS in the lee of the wind by the harbor Uplands. This has become an unusual fall and winter species.

A murder of NORTHWESTERN CROWS mobbed a snack car along the Waterfront that drove off and left me with the expectant crowd. A few brave ones rode along on my hood and rearview mirror, but I have learned not to feed them or face mobbing forever. They don’t forget a food source! Instead, I enjoyed watching them crack through the ice-covered puddles and finding no liquid water, gobbled down the ice chips.

At 12:30, my neighbor sent me a photo of an Owl perched high on top of a power pole a block south of my house. I dashed out, but it had vanished. Slowly, I drove up the alley, looking in vain for that needle in a haystack. Suddenly, the brown owl appeared, flying low away from me! I sped up, following, losing, then refinding it just as it landed in the green grass by the side of the road. Several unsuspecting vehicles passed it, but it did not flush. I crept up and parked alongside the road near the amazing owl.

A SHORT-EARED OWL!! I was expecting a Great-Horned Owl as I’ve never seen this species in my neighborhood before. The beautiful Owl looked right at me with its stunning yellow eyes as I clicked away, but did not seem perturbed. It was alert to the few vehicles driving past, and put up its horns when a couple bicycles rolled by. The addition of two more bicycles and a couple of dogs on leashes exceeded its maximum for tolerance and it wafted away.

This is a species of high conservation concern in North America mostly due to declining grasslands. An ADFG study found Short-eared Owls satellite-tagged in Nome flew to states in the Pacific Northwest, Midwest, and Texas. One flew almost 4000 miles from Nome to central Mexico. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=445

May it find munchies in urban Seward or more suitable grassland habitats with voles on its long migration south. Bon voyage!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter










No comments:

Post a Comment