Seward, Alaska
Just a week after I photographed a buck Sitka Black-tailed Deer on Nash Road, I happened upon a dead fawn draped on a log deposited by the high tide at Afognak Beach. It was a bit smaller than my Labrador and still showed white spots on a reddish-brown summer coat for camouflage. Such a sad sight!
Perhaps it drowned in the Resurrection River and was flushed out with other woody debris during the recent flood event.
After contacting an ADFG biologist, I returned that evening and collected it for their research project. I estimate it weighed about 25 pounds. It is the first documented fawn from the Seward area.
The biologist noted that hunting for deer on the Kenai Peninsula, Units 7 and 15, is not allowed and for that reason, deer are not listed in the regulation book with a season and bag limit. ADFG is pursuing more information and considering transplanting deer to the Kenai Peninsula.
It seems the deer might be transplanting themselves from Prince William Sound and liking it here!
Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird (and Deer) Report Reporter
No comments:
Post a Comment