Saturday, July 9, 2022 Hummingbird flurry

Seward, Alaska

Only exceedingly furtive RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS, and few at that, seem to visit my sugar water feeder. I routinely clean and change the  solution, make-and-toss, and just keep hoping they’re still around or will come. With such long days, maybe they sneak in after 10 pm.

I was overjoyed to see two hummers take fleeting, alternating sips on July 4, once, before zipping away, then nothing for days. Imagine my delight when at least three or four arrived today. A family? I abandoned other projects to sit quietly in a chair at a discrete distance, trying to get photos of this very challenging subject. 

First, a sleek female (mom? sister?) landed on the little red perch and fed calmly. A fidgety young male chased her away then hovered nervously, sipping from one yellow plastic flower after another. He expertly backed away, turning mid-flight to face me so his dotted gorget caught the light and glowed. I think there was more than one female, as the next female seemed more wary and did not linger.

Hummers don’t share. If there were two at the feeder, it was only because one didn’t leave fast enough. It seemed they spent more time chasing the other off than feeding. At one point, the young male and a female faced off at the feeder, then rose into the sky circling tightly; such tiny, fierce fighters! Siblings?

I finally decided to dash in and replace the feeder with another one filled with fresh sugar water. O my, did they tell me off with threatening, LOUD hums! HUMS! How could a hum with a few chips thrown in be so menacing! I wondered too late if I should have worn a hard hat with a visor! 

I quickly swapped out the feeder, immersed in their loud disapproval, and rushed back to the house to clean and refill the original. I hung that one about 12 feet away as a peace offering. Soon, both feeders had a green and rufous jewel sitting and sipping, only occasionally displaced by the third. Ahh.

I suspect the adult male who faithfully perched on the powerline in May and June has already started his migration back south, and his wives and children will soon leave as well. Until then, it’s a joy to find a tiny speck of fire getting a sugar hit at my feeders. So glad to oblige!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment