Monday, January 24, 2022 Gray-crowned Rosy-finch

Seward, Alaska

About an inch of snow fell overnight, then it warmed up creating deep, sloppy slush. Apparently, the weather and roads are bad Peninsula-wide, bad enough to delay most Kenai Peninsula schools by 2 hours tomorrow.

 

Despite the slop and rain, I scored on my First-of -Year GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCH, one of three reported in town. It was feeding on fallen and discarded Mt Ash berries with a few PINE GROSBEAKS on Second Ave. The dapper TOWNSEND’S SOLITAIRE hopped up on the fence; nice to see it again. The berries looked shriveled. I hope the birds will extract enough sustenance to keep them alive. 

 

A small flock of Gray-crowned Rosy-finches was reported last week in Crown Point area, and before that south of the Y by Tern Lake. 

 

Robin C found the flock of ROBINS a block south on Second, but I missed them. I’ll look tomorrow.

 

Thanks to the slop, I was able to find my FOY DIPPER at First Lake without falling on an icy trail. It was standing on the ice at the outlet to the lake, dipping, thinking about diving in again. Tough birds, all!

 

Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter







No comments:

Post a Comment