Sunday, June 6, 2021 Short-billed Dowitcher

Seward, Alaska

 

Sunrise 4:40 am, sunset 11:15 pm for a total day length of 21 hours and 42 minutes. Tomorrow will be 2 minutes and 26 seconds longer.

 

I thought the Dowitchers had all moved on several weeks ago, so I was surprised to find a single SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER feeding in the exposed mudflats. It’s the first time I’ve seen its legs as usually they are feeding up to their knees in water. It eyed me with caution but did not fly. 

 

After probing the mud a few times, it decided to disappear by sitting down with its bill towards the ground and tail up. Remarkably, the shorebird somewhat resembled a piece of wood, except when it raised its head to peek at me. I was very impressed and walked slowly away.

 

A while later, I refound the bird walking along the beach, again habitat I would not have expected. This time, it slowly walked away and then flew over the beach rye grass and disappeared.

 

I read that the subspecies that breeds in Alaska is caurinus, and is the most strongly marked subspecies, showing orange tones below as far as the legs. 

 

Another interesting sighting was that of a SONG SPARROW with its bill open, a sign I interpreted of a hot bird on a warm day, about 66º. I felt the same way and welcomed the cooling fog approaching from the head of the bay.

 

For photos and updates, please visit my blog at https://sporadicbird.blogspot.com

 

Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter












 

No comments:

Post a Comment