Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Tufted Duck Lifer!

Cooper Landing, Alaska

I sure was hoping to see the rare Eurasian TUFTED DUCK at Cooper Landing. It would be a Lifer. Found by Tim Stevensen 25 days earlier on December 29, 2019, time was ticking away. Rare birds are lost birds, and as such, are unpredictable. Buoyed by recent reports, it was worth a try.

As I crossed the bridge over the Kenai River at Cooper Landing, I noticed a nice flock of ducks milling in the short stretch of open water on the left (east) side of the bridge. Swans fed next to the ice on both sides. I continued to the closest access, the Alaska State Parks boat launch, and parked by the river.

Good thing I brought my scope as the light was dim and the birds far. I scanned the mixed flock of Scaup, COMMON MERGANSERS, and COMMON GOLDENEYES. Most were actively diving and feeding. It felt like “Where’s Waldo?” Then I saw a suspiciously white-flanked duck, napping. The pattern was distinctive. But when the wind blew just right, his fancy tuft flew out and cinched the identification. Yay!

The TRUMPETER SWANS in the background caught my attention next: two adults and three cygnets. I wondered if these could be the missing Seward residents which I haven’t seen in a while. If so, how did they know to fly north to find this small stretch of productive open water? Is this knowledge passed on through the generations? 

On my side of the bridge were two adults and one cygnet. Could these be the Tern Lake swan family? Tantalizing thought, and not quite as far to fly. I noticed the cygnet led the parents, as did the very independent Tern Lake cygnet. One can only speculate, but it seems very possible.

Dabbling MALLARDS and a diving DIPPER rounded out the species list.

I shot a few documentary photos and packed up to the soft honking of the Tern Lake Trumpeter Swan family as they paddled regally along the edge of the river ice. A sweet, familiar, and wild sound to top off an exciting mini-expedition. 

Seward reports:
Monday, January 20: two SHORT-EARED OWLS were reported hunting in a vacant property near the highway just south of Sea Lion Avenue. The same afternoon, a very white (male) Short-eared Owl hunted at the airport then disappeared. A few minutes later, an adult NORTHERN GOSHAWK suddenly appeared, landed in a spruce tree, waited and watched, then flew off.
Tuesday, January 21: the unusual female RING-NECKED DUCK (hybrid?) was seen at the Lagoon with 5 MALLARDS and 3 BUFFLEHEAD. 
Today: the male RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER suddenly reappeared after an unexcused absence since December 27, 2019.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter






No comments:

Post a Comment