Tuesday, December 10, 2019 Thick-billed Murre!

Seward, Alaska

Thanks to John Maniscalco, who spotted a THICK-BILLED MURRE this morning. It was about 200 yards offshore from the Diversion Tunnel Waterfall at the start of Lowell Point Road. A Murre of either species is unusual in the inner bay any time of year; a Thick-billed Murre is unheard of, almost. Perhaps the recent storm and strong south wind blew it in.

I dashed down and refound the Murre, floating peacefully or perhaps lethargically. I thought of the starving Murres in previous years that soon became lunch packs for watchful Eagles. Finally, the Murre dove and gave me hope that it was trying to feed. 

As I’ve never seen a Thick-billed Murre in winter plumage, I had to look it up. Uria lomvia

The bill is thicker and heavier than the very similar-looking Common Murre (hence the name). Nonbreeding birds have white on the throat and the lower part of the face. The Common Murre has a white cheek with a dark line descending from the eye. I could not see the thin white bill-line, if present, from that distance.

I included a photo of a COMMON MURRE in winter plumage from the Alaska Sealife Center for comparison.

On the topic of Murres, check out this Audubon article on why Murre eggs are so pointy:

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter






No comments:

Post a Comment