Sunday, June 2, 2019 Exit Glacier Swainson’s and Gray-cheeked Thrushes, Swan Surprise

Seward, Alaska

It’s been over a week; this bright morning was time to check for SWAINSON’S and GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSHES at Exit Glacier. As I entered the park, I began hearing the upwards spiral of the Swainson’s almost immediately upon crossing the Resurrection River Bridge. Yay!

Driving very slowly with the windows down, (very little traffic) I passed through many territories marked and defended by melodious singing: NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, WILSON’S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS. 

Fortunately, at 9 am, there weren’t many people on the trails yet so I could stop to look for hidden birds and record (video) bird songs without interruptions. What a beautiful morning, especially after so many rainy days, and what a lovely concert!

I enjoyed the sweet song of a ROBIN, interspersed with the haunting HERMIT THRUSH and blast of the VARIED THRUSH. Then I followed one faint Swainson’s Thrush to the start of the Harding Icefield Trail, just before the first small creek. Although I had little hope of actually seeing one of these elusive thrushes in the dense foliage, he sure sounded close. I scanned through the leafy cottonwood branches, and to my amazement, found him! He sang, then preened, rubbing his bill on the branch. His buffy eye ring stood out. 

After a bit, he flew and I followed, refinding him high in another cottonwood, singing, listening, and responding. He sure put his whole heart and soul into the song! I hope a smitten female was listening to the concert, ready to deliver her calling card.

Far in the distance, I heard a flurry of notes: the GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH! I wandered back down the trail to listen closer. At least two were listening and responding, but neither was close to the trail. I was satisfied to just be able to hear these far northern, shy thrushes. Ears attuned, I heard a few more as I drove slowly back to the bridge. 

Back in town, six large white birds at the far end grabbed my attention at the Lagoon. The TRUMPETER SWAN cygnets! I haven’t seen them for quite a while! I quickly parked and walked back down the boardwalk to watch them feed.  Now a year old, they still retain gray necks and darker gray heads though their bills and legs are black. Their bodies are mostly white with some light gray feathers. When they tipped up, their bellies were stained orange.

They sure looked healthy! They seem to be sticking together as a family, booted from the bosom of their once-doting parents. It will be interesting to see how they fare as they continue to mature and reach breeding age in four to five years.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter











No comments:

Post a Comment