Wednesday, April 24, 2019 Geese and Cranes!

Seward, Alaska

Luckily, I happened to be outside this evening when I caught the faint, faraway, but familiar cry of migrating geese. I ran to grab my camera and scanned the sky. Finally, I found them, a ragged bow of Geese, speck dots against the gray sky, stroking north. Yay! The migration was finally happening in earnest!

For the next hour, I waited then watched as flocks in various formations winged northwards high overhead: check-marks, bows, Vs, scraggly lines, and independent travelers. I’m guessing most were GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE. What a joyous wonder! 

This Pacific Flyway Population overwinters in the Sacramento Valley area of California. The geese nest primarily from the Alaska Peninsula north to the Yukon River with the majority on the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.

Tagged onto the Goose parade came seven LESSER SANDHILL CRANES, lower, and hardly vocalizing. It’s possible they will spend the night at a wetlands to regain their strength before resuming their arduous journey.

These Cranes are also likely from the Pacific Flyway Population that migrates from central California to their breeding grounds in the Bristol Bay lowlands, on the Alaska Peninsula, and in the Cook Inlet-MatSu Valley.

I expect RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS to rain down from the skies now, skydiving off their comfortable, goose down, hitchhiked ride. What else could explain how these miniscule marvels travel thousands of miles from as far as Mexico or even Panama or Florida?

In between the migrating flocks, I spied an adult NORTHERN GOSHAWK flying rapidly among the spruce trees along the mountainside. Looking closely, I saw dinner was served, possibly a skinned Red Squirrel, clutched in its powerful talons. Bon appetit!

Keep your eyes and ears to the skies!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter








No comments:

Post a Comment