Friday, August 11, 2017 Surprise Shorebird Sighting

Seward, Alaska

I wasn’t birding on my way to the post office. But when a small, unidentified bird flew up and landed in the lawn next to the road, I immediately veered into the unsuspecting homeowner’s driveway, parked and grabbed my binocs.

What?!! A LEAST SANDPIPER! I have never seen this species in Seward away from the wetlands and tidelands. Yet here it was, across from the post office, walking through the clover, asphalt chunks and grass, busily picking off tiny tidbits.

Whenever a vehicle passed, it flew up in alarm, then landed right back in the yard. Several times, it flew across the road, landed, then walked back as if drawn by a magnet to the same place. It looked SO out of place walking on the black asphalt!

How simply astonishing that this little guy chose to dine here, of all places. I hope he gets back to his buddies soon with stories to share!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter








No comments:

Post a Comment