Monday, September 14, 2015 Bonaparte's Gulls

Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 7:23 am, sunset 8:22 pm for a total day length of 12 hours and 58 minutes. Fall Equinox is just around the corner!

Temps in the mid 50s, flat calm, cloudy with a much appreciated sunny break mid-afternoon. Forecast calls for a chance of rain until Saturday.

Today at the head of the bay, upwards of a 1000 gulls twinkled and flashed in the distance over the tide flats, a raucous mix of GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS, BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES, MEW GULLS, and at least 3 BONAPARTE’S GULLS.

The first year BONAPARTE’S seemed to make a point of being seen as the trio flew straight for me and soundlessly circled overhead. “See my cute little black bill? My charming dark earspot? The thin, black trailing edge of my wings? Check out my dashing black tail band!” Impossible to ignore this truly handsome, dainty gull with helpful behavior like that.

I think I have seen more Bonaparte’s this year than ever, or perhaps I’m just more aware of them. It’s a gull that deserves a second look.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter






No comments:

Post a Comment