Tuesday, November 19, 2013 Chestnut-backed Chickadee Delight


Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 9:07 am, sunset 4:18 pm, for a total of 7 hours and 10 minutes. Tomorrow will be 4 minutes and 22 seconds shorter.

Brrrrrr! Bright and sunny, for that short period as the sun dashes across the southern sky between the mountains in the east to those waiting in the west. The thermometer took a nosedive down to the teens the past several days and the north wind revved its engines to howling with gusts over 25 mph.

A perfect time to replace the back deck!

It was fun to bird while I worked. A flock of PINE GROSBEAKS sang melodiously, about 18 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS chirred, several ROBINS clucked, and VARIED THRUSHES sighed as they flew back and forth between the Mt Ash trees, feasting on the ripe red berries. A BALD EAGLE soared overhead, so high it was just a speck in the wind. RAVENS croaked, STELLER'S JAYS scolded. A SONG SPARROW chimed in. MAGPIES patrolled, on the alert for anything of interest.

At one point this afternoon, while we were pondering the mysteries of constructing the staircase, I chanced to see an inquisitive little CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE nearby, inspecting the project. I pointed it out to my co-worker while he took a little break.

I talked to the little sweetie, and by golly, it dropped down and flew right past my head, landing even closer. I whipped off my thick glove and held out my bare hand. It hopped right on board, perched nonchalantly on my thumb, hopped up my coat sleeve, and then flew back to my hand. So light! So cute! Simply magical! I sure wish I had some birdseed to share. My co-worker was very impressed!

May birds brighten your day no matter what you are doing or where you are!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment