Wednesday, July 10, 2013 Caspian Tern in Seward!


Seward Alaska Sporadic Bird Report

When is a gull not a gull? When it has a huge red bill, black cap, dark underside primaries, and slightly forked tail! I finally found a CASPIAN TERN, a Life Bird, in Seward! This is not the first sighting for Seward, but I was never lucky to see one in previous years.

I'm sure others must have seen it as it flew effortlessly right over the busy harbor this afternoon, along the crowded waterfront and campers, and seemed to head down towards Lowell Point.

I checked the fisheries bay bird feeder just south of the boat harbor. It was loaded with BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS, MEW GULLS, and a few DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS. It's a good spot and worth checking frequently.

The other seafood processor at the start of Lowell Point Road was not processing, and had zero birds, but that could change as fishing boats come in to unload.

I was so startled at seeing this oddity, I only got a few bad photos from a distance. I'll be looking for it and hoping to get some better images.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment