Sunday, April 15, 2012 Northern Harrier!


Seward, Alaska Sporadic Bird Report

Weather: Cold rain showers today with a chilly north wind alternated with bursts of sunshine and patches of blue sky big enough to accommodate a large flock of migrating geese or sandhill cranes. Alas! The promising cloud gaps remained empty.


By late afternoon, a series of solid gray clouds marched up the bay from the Gulf of Alaska. Surely they bring birds! We shall see!

I ventured out in search of a snipe reported yesterday, but instead found a bit of elegance, a male NORTHERN HARRIER hunting the soggy meadows between stubborn snow patches. I pinched myself to ensure I wasn't dreaming! I soaked up his graceful low flight, beautiful black wing tips and silvery white body, then rejoiced. Surely spring is here!

A short time later, I watched a BALD EAGLE land on the edge of the wetlands, then fly back to its nest with a load of dead grasses trailing from its talons.

I carefully bundled my camera in a plastic bag to protect it from the stinging rain, pushed my winter hat down firmly, and was glad for my rain pants, warm coat, and rubber boots. Spring does not necessarily mean balmy weather!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter


PS If you haven't yet seen this video of an osprey catching fish, check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/embed/nA3LtXnNIto?feature=player_embedded



1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, reading what you see and think and experience. I was amazed at the moose's overgrown hooves; I had never heard of this and wonder what will happen with those. I loved the eagle photo with the flounder. Now I'll check out the youtube. Thanks, Janis

    ReplyDelete