Sunday, September 6, 2026 Catch-up! Pectoral Sandpipers, Black Turnstones, Merlins, Long-billed Dowitchers, and a Tall Ship

Seward, Alaska

It’s been a little over two weeks since I last posted due to continuing computer problems, so this is a catch-up report.

 

Sunrise 7:07 am, sunset 8:42 pm for a total day length of 13 hours and 34 minutes. Tomorrow will be 5 minutes and 24 seconds shorter.

 

Temperatures remain mild, with lows in the high 40s and highs in the 50s. Rain, sun, wind, calm; the usual weather mix these past two weeks.

 

On August 20 at midnight, I marveled at the first stars since the start of spring. Appropriately, Cygnus the Swan flew directly overhead along the shimmering Milky Way.

 

On August 23, a brilliant sunny day, about 4 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS joined about 20 chittering BLACK TURNSTONES at the tide flats. These high arctic breeders were on the move and hungry, probing the dark gray mud for hidden treasures. A few WESTERN SANDPIPERS and SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS mingled compatibly with the others. 

 

On August 25, a small flock of RED CROSSBILLS hung from ripening spruce cones gleaning the tiny seeds at Afognak Beach. This was the last day I saw SPOTTED SANDPIPERS and YELLOWLEGS. Time to keep moving south.

 

On August 27 at Spring Creek Beach, two MERLINS harassed two BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES, dashing through alders and spruce in a silent and potentially deadly chase. The aerial maneuvers of predators and potential prey were impressive. After many long minutes, during which all took breaks to rest and reconnoiter, the action abruptly shot out of sight.

 

No Arctic Terns were seen. Bon voyage! It was such a pleasure to watch you!

 

On September 2, 3 and 4, six LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS mechanically stitched the shallows of the estuary pond at the head of the bay. The water levels here as elsewhere, continue to drop, leaving marestails growing in cracked mud as the shoreline recedes.

 

Ragged rain clouds were just right for another sunspot viewing; so amazing to see that the dark spots move around and are mapped. This one was AR4521, on a star 93 million miles away appearing no larger than the moon.

 

The Mexican Army’s impressive 3-masted tall ship ARM Cuauhtemoc arrived on August 29 and left on September 3. Both male and female crew stood tall among the yards, as music blasted and the golden eagle on the flag danced in the wind.

 

On September 6, I finally found a BELTED KINGFISHER rattling across the Lagoon in Benny Benson Memorial Park. I hope/know they’re around, but I just haven’t seen them.


Last night around 11:30 pm, (dark alas), I again heard the steady beeping of a SAW-WHET OWL, tucked away in the forest on the slope of Mt Marathon. I have heard him several times this summer, dark or not.


Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

 




























No comments:

Post a Comment