Thursday, August 6, 2026 Rufous Hummingbird!

Seward, Alaska


Around noon, an insistent “tick, tick, tick” from my outdoor baby monitor penetrated my multi-tasking thoughts. I glanced out the kitchen window to an empty space where the hummingbird feeder had waited in vain since July 28 until I removed it three days ago. Below, a RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD buzzed from one purple pansy to another, emitting little hummingbird curses. 

 

Almost panicking, I quickly made a fresh sugar solution and rehung the feeder. What was a Rufous Hummingbird doing here in August??? They should have migrated in July.

 

I hustled to get my camera ready and went outside to wait. Much to my amazement, I happened into a burst of activity. Species I haven’t seen since spring zipped through the spruce branches, flitting from branch to branch, gleaning tiny caterpillars from the twigs. Most looked like youngsters: TOWNSEND’S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, and resident CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES.

 

It was impossible to get a decent photo, hidden behind the needles and moving fast, so I had to settle for pieces and parts.

 

The Hummer returned and allowed me to savor her (?) presence as she silently sipped the sugar water; the offering apparently passed inspection.

 

The mixed flock moved on, but the Hummer returned around 6 pm and enjoyed another long drink. What a beauty!


Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

 

 










 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment