Wednesday, December 13, 2023 Brambling, Townsend’s Solitaire

Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 9:54 am, sunset 3:51 pm for a total day length of 5 hours and 56 minutes. Tomorrow will be 1 minute and 28 seconds shorter as we approach the Winter Solstice on December 21. 

 

Finally got a break in the squally weather with mostly clear skies and sunshine; note, UV level still flatlining at zero. High at 7:30 am of 21, dropping to 16 around 11 am. A chilly north wind persisted at 3-8 mph with gusts to 15, lofting shimmers of loose snow, and riling the bay.

 

It’s not hard to rise before the sun in winter; I hustled out to the tidelands at 10 am hoping to beat the rising 12.73’ high tide. The hidden sun illuminated the tops of the western mountains with a bluish cast and crisp blue shadows. I watched the dawn creep down as the sun finally peeked over the eastern mountains at a leisurely 10:43 am. Short days, long nights for the birds.

 

I was unsuccessful in my hopes to spot the Killdeer reported last weekend, and refind some Snow Buntings. Instead, I found the usual RAVENS, MALLARDS, SHORT-BILLED GULLS, and two TRUMPETER SWANS feeding in the flooded stream channel, almost obscured by swirling snow.

 

Next, I sought the BRAMBLING, found by Robin C at Ava’s on Sunday and Tuesday. A wonderful variety of hungry birds cycled through her yard and feeders: a single BOHEMIAN WAXWING, PINE GROSBEAKS, RED-WINGED CROSSBILLS, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES, DARK-EYED JUNCOS, a SONG SPARROW, DOWNY WOODPECKERS, HAIRY WOODPECKERS, BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES, and a BALD EAGLE and RAVEN fly-over.

 

It was exciting to watch for the Juncos in particular, knowing the Brambling liked their company. They ebbed and flowed like the tide, disappearing under the deck, then up in the trees, or hopped on the snow. Finally, I caught sight of a striking burnt orange and black finch with a yellow bill. Yay! I waited for another long time and was able to get a few photos before a Pine Grosbeak chased him back under the deck. 

 

The sun was already over halfway across the sky. I headed to Lowell Point Beach on the west side of Resurrection Bay, arriving at the 12:45 pm high tide. Lowell Point No-Beach. A handsome drake RED-BREASTED MERGANSER paddled back and forth across the drowned beach where people normally walked, snorkeling and diving. I dodged fingers of seething water reaching into the beach rye grass, down to the end of the beach. Pinnacle Rock was flooded, leaving only a small tip exposed.

 

A bird flushed from the rocks and flew past too fast for me to identify. This was the mystery bird from December 8. I started to trudge back to try to find it when it returned and landed about 10’ away on the tip of some driftwood. A TOWNSEND’S SOLITAIRE! The sweet thrush just sat there quietly looking at me as I clicked away in perfect light. Wow. Then, off down the beach to another perch. What a gift of its presence!

 

The sun bid adieu with a flashy little prism in a cloud and threw the beach into shadows at 1 pm, but I wasn’t done yet. I simply drove away from the mountains and back to town for an encore. A BALD EAGLE obliged me, regally staring afar and then down at me from its eagle perch near the harbor. 

 

Around 2 pm, the sun set again. I could have driven to the east side of the bay for yet another moment in the sun, but decided to turn in, well satisfied with a short but spectacular day of winter birding.


Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter























 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment