Cold Bumblebees on Dandelions, and Pink Salmon golden eye

Seward, Alaska

This afternoon, I found a few late pink salmon spawning in a small stream at Fourth of July Beach. One, almost spent, was pinned by the current against the rocks. I quickly took a few photos of her astonishingly beautiful golden eye before I gently nudged her back into deeper water.

Later, just before the cloud-veiled sun slipped behind the mountains, I discovered two bumblebees on the few dandelions still in bloom. Both bumblebees were almost motionless, chilled but still laboriously trying to collect nectar and pollen. 

Time is quickly running out for the salmon, bumblebees, and yes, even the weeds, yet they refuse to quit. I appreciate their determination and beauty on this amazing fall day.

Carol Griswold 





No comments:

Post a Comment