Friday, July 14, 2023 Rufous Hummingbird female preening

Seward, Alaska

After a long absence, a female RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD finally reappeared at the waiting feeder. I felt pleased to get stealthy photos through the unwashed kitchen window. A few days ago, another female showed up; they bickered briefly then blasted off on a merry sugar-powered chase.

This afternoon, as I was carrying some lawn chairs to the back of the house, I spotted a hummer perched on my clothesline, about the height of a clothespin. I gently set the chairs down and quietly walked back to get my camera. “What are the chances,” sez I, “that this pocket rocket will still be sitting there?”

As it happened, much to my amazement, the chances were pretty good. The little lady let me slowly approach, snapping away, as she demonstrated how one preens with such a short neck and long bill. The neck proved tricky, and she finished the unreachable section with her tiny foot.

This way and that, stretching her wings, her neck, shaking off, spreading her tail; her toilette was a wonder to behold and very impressive. Finally, a second Hummer whizzing overhead proved irresistible and she took off in pursuit.

A few minutes later, I refound one of them feeding on the lilac flowers, hovering midair or resting lightly on a blossom. Her negligible weight didn’t even bend the fragile footrest.

I hope I will get a chance to admire fledgling Hummers before they all head south. I suspect the dazzling males have already left. Time flies as will these miniature marvels!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter













No comments:

Post a Comment