Tuesday, April 25, 2023 Pipits, Greater White-fronted Geese

Seward, Alaska

After the snowstorm on Sunday, the sky cleared by evening to showcase a fingernail moon hovering above luminous Venus like the Cheshire cat’s smile, chasing the sun. Monday continued fair, much to everyone’s surprise and relief. When I stepped outside, I looked up to see dozens of Gulls sailing low overhead and high above them, two BALD EAGLES soaring and circling in the wind against a blue sky.

I heard my FOS RUBY CROWNED KINGLET loudly singing (only one volume setting), hidden in the forest on the slope of Mt Marathon behind the hospital. Several ringing VARIED THRUSES and a couple cheerio ROBINS joined in. What a pleasure!

A leisurely stroll at the head of the bay produced 8 PLOVERS/GOLDEN-PLOVERS, too fast and far to identify, and a tight flock of about 50 CANADA GEESE wheeling about.

Snow, rain, and wind returned today, covering the ground and hiding the tender green shoots. Despite the abysmal weather, I ventured out, the cold rain stinging my face. It was worth it. Seven FOS AMERICAN PIPITS had arrived at the head of the bay, picking morsels (cold flies?) among the wrack line debris. 

As I headed back, the rain pelting me from the other side, I heard the wild clamor of geese behind me. I turned and saw hundreds (500?) of FOS GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, flock after flock, emerge from the low clouds and sift down, orange webbed feet outstretched. What a stunning sight on this gray, wintry day! 

Spring storms entice migrating waterfowl and cranes to stop over to wait for better weather, a silver lining. It’s still snowing. Stay tuned for who might join the Specklebellies on their epic journeys home.

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment