Wednesday, February 22, 2023 Cedar Waxwing, Pacific Wren

Seward, Alaska

The wind died down yesterday, and birds materialized. Three BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS briefly landed and chirred at the top of a spruce tree then flew off. In the six-hundred block of Second, a single ROBIN plucked dried up, frozen Mt Ash berries from an almost depleted tree. Then another Robin flew in, then another, and another, and another until there were about a dozen hopping from branch to branch seeking fruit.

One flew to a nearby home and landed on the south-facing gutter where melting snow created a birdy spa. Soon, all twelve Robins were lined up in the gutter, splashing and sipping water in the sun. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera but it was a quite a sight!

Today, human Robin C called about a CEDAR WAXWING in the four- hundred block of Second Ave. The little lost bird perched quietly in yet another almost-stripped Mt Ash, occasionally reaching for a shriveled berry. A few Robins joined it. A STELLER’S JAY did not scare it off, nor did a passing school bus. It seemed tired, or perhaps, just quietly digesting those cold berries in its tummy.

A STARLING flew in, also without disturbing it. I was amazed at the beauty of the much-maligned Starling. Still in winter plumage, its iridescent black, purple, green, and magenta body was meticulously patterned with white chevrons like an expensive tailored suit. I could almost understand why the species was introduced to North America: smart, beautiful, and Shakespeare-approved. Despite these attributes, I hope the species does not establish itself here.

The Cedar Waxwing eventually flew across the street and landed under a spruce tree where it found something of interest, maybe a small bit of meltwater to drink. Earlier, Robin C also observed it hawking for insects, which seemed unlikely until I saw an insect fly past.

I believe this is the first winter sighting for Seward: I have reports from September 2013, October 2012, 2016, and 2020, and November 2017. 

Next stop was Two Lakes Park where I spied a very small, dark bird dashing between the lower trunks of spruce trees near the Second Lake picnic area. A PACIFIC WREN! I watched it alight effortlessly on the side of the tree trunks like a Brown Creeper and poke and probe in the potato-chip bark for invertebrates. Although the light was by now dim, I took a few documentary photos. Seward usually has a few overwintering Pacific Wrens, but this is the first for me this winter.

Earlier in the day, I refound the 34 overwintering ROCK SANDPIPERS, likely accompanied by a Dunlin or two at the head of the bay. As I was leaving, a flock of about 50 SNOW BUNTINGS flew right over my head! So beautiful against the blue sky!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter

















 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment