Sunday, August 7, 2022 Chatty Ravens

Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 5:54 am, sunset 10:15 pm, for a total day length of 16 hours and 21 minutes. Tomorrow will be 5 minutes and 4 seconds shorter.

It feels like fall with temps in the high 40s to mid 50s. The sun tries hard in the mornings, beaming through cloudy skies, then sulks behind the looming dark gray clouds loaded with rain and propelled by the wind. Another week of rain is in the forecast.

This morning, five juvenile RAVENS entertained my dog and me on a beach walk, likely a bit bored but intrigued with my linguistic attempts. They loitered on driftwood perches, watching me with interest, croaking and cracking the usual teen Raven jokes. Their feathers were a bit scruffy and their mouth linings were red. I have no idea what I said or the meaning of their replies, but it was a lively conversation. 

As I neared the groups, they lingered on a dare until the dog rushed them, tail wagging, and they scattered noisily to the next perch. A fun new game! A really brave youngster continually landed a short distance ahead on the sand and paraded around with bits of wood or dried seaweed, teasing the dog, ready to leap skywards out of reach then back down. 

After a while, the dog dropped her orange rubber ball to investigate the edibility of something organic and questionable. The brave Raven landed nearby and after rapidly calculating the probabilities and risks, carefully opened its beak wide and picked up the sandy ball. It was quite a mouthful!

Recalling the loss (and eventual retrieval) of a green tennis ball some years ago that was snatched and taken for a flight, I slowly moved in. The Raven eyed me closely, then chose to leave the prize and discussed the sudden reversal of fortune from the next perch. No hard feelings when I put it in my pocket for safekeeping.

Eventually, they all flew off, having received simultaneous text alerts about a hot party down the beach with free food. I hope I meet this interactive, confident, curious bunch again. They sure livened up an otherwise fairly quiet bird walk: a few GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, one SAVANNAH SPARROW, two BONAPARTE’S GULLS, a dozen DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, and many Gulls in the distance. 

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter










No comments:

Post a Comment