Wednesday, July 20, 2022 Bonaparte’s Gulls, Arctic Terns

Seward, Alaska

The periods between the bouts of rain this week proved wonderful windows to bird. This morning, the clouds unexpectedly drifted off, allowing the warm sun to break through. I headed for the tidelands to check on the ARCTIC TERNS and enjoy them just a little bit longer before they leave.

As I wandered on the exposed ocean floor, a juvenile BONAPARTE’S GULL caught my eye scavenging in the mud and tidal creeks. Its multi-colored plumage ranged from subtle browns and grays on the back, with a prominent black spot on the head, black tail band, black-edged wings, and white underside. Occasionally, it cheeped just like the baby it was recently. 

Four immatures, now mostly white with a black spot and tail band, and one handsome adult with a black head and thin, black bill foraged nearby in a loose group, sometimes apart and then together. The adult's growly, low voice did not seem to belong to this petite, charming gull.

As I did not recognize the juvenile until I got home to research it, I learned a bit more about this small, handsome gull and wrestled with its 2-year plumage cycles.

Bonaparte’s build a platform nest in conifers in the boreal forest near lakes and marshes, not in the coastal rain forest. I wonder where they nested, and how far they have flown? I wonder where the first summer birds hang out until they are ready to start a family in their second year? This little group is apparently on its way to the southern coasts for the winter. 

Several BALD EAGLES patrolled the tidelands as well. As the sun warmed the soggy tide flats, ghostly ground fog wafted past an adult drying its wings. A LESSER YELLOWLEGS stalked prey on its bright yellow stilt legs. ARCTIC TERNS gathered on driftwood, sunbathing. I counted 21 lazing about uncharacteristically. The welcome sun felt good to everyone!

I returned home feeling rich with all the treasures I had experienced. I will miss these summer visitors!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter




















No comments:

Post a Comment