Monday, December 20, 2021 Seward Christmas Bird Count

Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 10:01 am, sunset 3:51 pm for a total day length of 5 hours and 50 minutes. Tomorrow, the Winter Solstice, will be 0 minutes and 6 seconds shorter.

 

Overcast today with a low of 19 and a high of 28. The wind took a restorative nap, planning to return with gust-o this evening at 20-35 mph through Friday. About an inch of snow is forecast for this evening.

 

We await the final results of the Seward Christmas Bird Count as the reports trickle in and Count Week ends tomorrow. Though Count Day was a lovely day to bird, my efforts did not yield many birds or species despite my wishful thinking. The first bird at 9:15 am in the twilight was a BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE, and also at dusk at 4:11 pm with hope and scattered species in-between. 

 

I was amazed to see so many huge ships in the bay: the 296’ trusty marine ferry “Tustumena” berthed next to the 261’ research vessel “Sikuliaq” in port. The 225’ navigation service US Coast Guard Cutter “Fir” waited finishing touches at the shipyard. And a dark gray 255’ US Naval salvage/rescue ship “Grasp” anchored just offshore.

 

While away on my distant routes, apparently my neighborhood was a hotspot with a NORTHERN GOSHAWK, a NORTHERN SHRIKE, TOWNSEND’S SOLITAIRE, BROWN CREEPER, and a FOX SPARROW! I should spend more time birding at home.

 

I learned that the vacant birdhouse by my sunflower seed feeder provided a refuge to a resident RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH who peeked out cautiously when the Shrike popped ’round to see what was for lunch. Not the clever Nuthatch!

 

But what a pleasure to focus on birds all day. To watch the dark of night gradually disperse, the dawn sleepily awake, the sun slink low across the southern sky, twilight once again steal in, and the starry night reclaim her place. I happened to glance northeastward on my way home when the full moon reeled me back to the Waterfront to admire her rising over the spectacular moonlit snowy mountains. 

 

I found a NORTHERN SHIKE yesterday, and around 5 pm, I heard the steady beep-beep of a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL tooting from the Mt Marathon slope. Today, I found three WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS, a single BLACK SCOTER hen, a species I have not seen for a few years, a PIGEON GUILLEMOT, and a single SNOW BUNTING. Where were they on Count Day? Busy surviving, I know, and not at all concerned about my important checklist.

 

Tomorrow is the last chance to find any additional species for Count Week. I’ll be listening and watching the bird world, enjoying whoever happens to cross paths.

 

Happy Birding!

Carol Griswold

Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter
























 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment