Wednesday, September 9, 2020 Sandhill Cranes, and Golden Eagle





Seward, Alaska

Sunrise 7:14 am, sunset 8:38 pm for a total day length of 13 hours and 23 minutes. Tomorrow will be 5 minutes and 24 seconds shorter.

Sunny! Blue skies! High of 58º, overnight low of 45º, NNW wind at 5-10 mph. 

At first, I doubted my ears. SANDHILL CRANES? About a half hour later, I heard a second flock bugling joyfully. I frantically scoured the blue sky until I finally spotted them, high, high, high overhead flying SSE heading over the mountains.

I tricked the camera into seeing them and counted 180 when I got home and enlarged the image on the computer. What a thrill!

Later in the afternoon, I just happened to take photos of Resurrection Peaks, a rugged mountain complex on the north side of Exit Glacier Road. The black speck soaring over a peak turned out to be a GOLDEN EAGLE juvenile! 

Sun and north wind in the forecast through Sunday may encourage migrants to fly over Seward instead of landing. Listen for them then look high!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter









 

No comments:

Post a Comment