Thursday, December 14, 2017 Count Week Day Two!

Seward, Alaska

Turned out to be another gray, overcast day with a chilly north wind and spitting rain. But I hardly noticed as it was a great day to bird!

First bird, an adorable CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE at my feeders, good start! Then I staked out my neighbor’s feeder. After chasing off the PIGEONS (check!) and a long wait, I finally got a decent photo of the brilliantly rufous Red (Interior) FOX SPARROW. He fairly glowed in the dim light in the tangle of branches. What a handsome sparrow! His crisp white belly looked freshly washed with a leading brand of laundry detergent, which offset his rufous stripes and spots beautifully. Quite a contrast to our usual summer Sooty Fox Sparrow!

A GOLDEN-CROWNED and SONG SPARROW hopped about in the underbrush, much more camouflaged. The feeder area has two nice piles of brush that the Sparrows really like for a hide-out; a highly recommended feature if you want to attract and keep Sparrows. Just as I was about to leave, a VARIED THRUSH hopped in. Check!

After an unsuccessful search for a Dipper at the Lagoon, I hiked along the head of the bay. Two TRUMPETER SWANS graced the thawed portion, surrounded by MALLARDS and GADWALL filching left-overs. Check! The light was dim, but I think there were at least four Gadwall. A NORTHERN SHRIKE blasted past. Check!

As the tide ebbed (with the light), a flock of small birds flickered along the water’s edge: 26 ROCK SANDPIPERS! Check! Wish I could say there were Dunlin with them, but I couldn’t tell for sure.

I visited Ava’s Place and delivered suet as the birds are devouring her supply. The RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET appeared briefly, clinging with difficulty to the suet feeder. Check! Several PINE SISKINS perched in her Mayday tree. Check!

I just had to look for the Swans at the Nash Road wetlands. Yup, still there. A BELTED KINGFISHER rattled across the mostly frozen pond. Check!

The sun peeked out from under the clouds at sunset around 3:50 pm and blasted its lovely pink light on the snowy mountains and scattered clouds. Wow! What a splendid surprise! I swung into the Harbor Uplands to enjoy the views to the west, south and east.

As twilight descended, I happened to glance at the small group of Gulls resting nearby. Hmmm. One looked SO white. Bi-colored bill. Larger than the GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS. Check on a GLAUCOUS GULL, first winter. But wait! Another large gull was not as white, but had the bi-colored bill: TWO Glaucous Gulls! But wait! Another slightly darker gull sure looked like a third Glaucous Gull! How fun is that?

Apparently not as fun as it could be. The smaller, dark brown gull with a darker tail, rounded head, and short, thick bill that I spotted yesterday was still here. After mulling it over, I’m going to go out on a thin limb and call it a THAYER’S GULL. Check! If anyone cares to confirm or correct, I’m all ears as this is one of my nemesis gulls.

Fourteen (14) more species today for a total of 43 species for Count Week so far!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter










No comments:

Post a Comment