Tuesday, December 3, 2013 Seward Brambling

Seward, Alaska

The BRAMBLING that was first reported on Thanksgiving Day, November 28th by Sadie seems to like her feeders and those of the neighbor's across the street in the 500 block of Second Ave.

It took me several tries, but thanks to Robin C's spotting, I finally got some photos of it. It perched briefly on the roof, along with several DARK-EYED JUNCOS, flew to a tree branch about 20' up, and then disappeared. It has also been observed foraging on the ground, so look for it high and low.

I'm calling it a female, based on the more subtle markings of the female that arrived in April, and the brighter males with black head markings that were here most of the winter. As always, I appreciate experts' opinions.

Also spotted at dawn, about 20 ROBINS perching quietly in a cottonwood. A small flock of GROSBEAKS continued to feast on Mt Ash berries. RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES and CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES competed with increasing numbers of BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES at the neighborhood black oil sunflower seed and suet feeders. 

I just put up my feeders last night; I hope the bears are hibernating!

Happy Birding!
Carol Griswold
Seward Sporadic Bird Report Reporter 




No comments:

Post a Comment